Saturday 6 October 2012

Day 6 Gold Coast Trip

Picked up Ashleigh and took her to work. I plan to drive to somewhere around Gladstone to Gin Gin today. Well the day got off to a good start with saying goodbye to a family in the caravan park I had spent some time with, fueled up and off to the next camp. Cruising along the highway I still cant believe how towns have changed over the years, Blackwater is so much bigger and more modern than it used to be, Dauringa has what looks like a brand new motel. Don't tell me that mining doesn't have an enormous impact on regional communities.
Got to Comet and I had seen to sign to Liechardts dig tree when I was heading to Emerald but didn't have time to stop ( or I am not used to stopping when I am travelling) so I decided to call in. If I remember rightly it was is 1847 expedition to North Queensland, however they abandoned it and returned to the Darling Downs. Under the tree they left a powder box with messages about when they where there and when they would be returning ( you think they would have just texted, probably no reception). the tree is of course behind wire , so I did my best with the phone. Must get a better camera than the phone.

Plaque at from of display - Comet

actual tree - cant see dig sign anymore


So left Comet and headed on my merry way just cruising along listening to books. That is until I am about 50k's from Rocky. I see this police car on the side of the road and as I am not speeding or anything just keep cruising. He follows me with lights on. Not thinking he was after me I kept driving, however the flashing lights and siren soon made me aware it was me he wanted to stop. Pulled up on the side of the road, got out, more inquisitive than anything else and he asks me do I know the date of my registration, shit, I knew it was a couple of days over. anyhow to make a long story short, $264.00 fine, 1 1/2hrs to get to Rocky and pay my rego ($700) and I am on my way to find a camp for the night. Looked in CAW6 and planned to go to Granite Creek rest area about 35k's south of Miriam Vale. It is ok, but the toilets were disgusting, couldn't use them. With picnic tables there however I could set everything up and was most comfortable.

Cedar Creek Rest Area CAW6 #115
Tomorrow I am back to the Gold Coast.

Travel for today:

No comments:

Post a Comment